After watching the three movies of The Chronicles of Narnia I have come to the conclusion that Narnia can be called whatever you want to call it, but it is not a series that has been inspired by God. There is no possible way that it could be. This is my reason why…

I believe that the Bible and God are the final authorities, and anything that defies them or preaches otherwise is, in essence, evil. With that said, I would like to show you a few things to support my statement about Narnia.

In the book The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Lucy is given a task to enter an invisible mansion and recite a spell to turn Dufflepuds, a wizard, and Aslan visible again. In the Bible spells like these are referred to as “familiar spirits”, “mediums”, “the fire”, etc.

“There shall not be found among you anyone who makes is son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer,” Deuteronomy 18:10

Aslan makes Lucy do this as a “trial” or “test of her faith”. However, this verse specifically says that no one should give a trial to someone in this manner.

“Give not regard to mediums and familiar spirits; do not seek after them to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God.” Leviticus 19:31

After Lucy’s trial is complete a wizard is revealed and the four children must consult him to find their next destination. Again, this is forbidden by God.

“or one who conjures spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the LORD, and because of these abominations the LORD your God drives them out from before you.” Deuteronomy 18:11-12

In The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe Susan is sent back to the White Witch’s lair to bring the creatures back to life after being turned to stone. This also is an abomination. Before anyone takes anything for an allegory or says, “But it’s supposed to symbolize…” first take a look at what is being used to symbolize it. For example: many people say that Harry Potter is an allegory, yet any well discerning Christian would know better than to fall for that. Why, however, should we not call Harry Potter an allegory? A true Christian would say, “Because it strongly uses magic and magic is forbidden by God.” But Harry Potter symbolizes the good and the light in the world, so wouldn’t that cancel out all the bad magic. I mean after all the magic in Harry Potter is being used for good. Again, a true Christian that knows the Bible would say, “God forbids the use of magic.” That same Christian, however, will turn right around and praise Narnia for being a great allegory. What is the difference between the two? Because Narnia’s hero looks more like a Christ Savior than Harry Potter? This is foolishness and not just by my definition.

“Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.” 1 John 4:1

As I stated before, I believe that anything that deifies God and/or the Bible or contradicts them or anything like that is, in essence, an appearence of evil.

“Abstain from all appearance of evil.” 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Narnia is not in any way, shape, or form inspired by God. The God that the Bible speaks of, and the God that I know and follow, does not press a point in the Bible as far as the subject of witchcraft is pressed, and then turn around and inspire a story that relies on the use of magic. If you think for one second that He would do such a thing, then I pray for you.

“But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.” Galations 1: 8-9

Written by Math Ew!

http://www.greatpreachers.org/narnia.html

http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/006/narnia-trouble.htm

Views: 835

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

There is a difference between the magic outlawed by God in the Bible and the magic used in Narnia! And when Aslan says that about a deeper magic, he does not say darker, he just says deeper, and he is talking about a rule that the Emperor over the sea (God) put into place when the world was made.

You're still saying the same thing and you aren't hearing what I'm saying. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. (II Timothy 4:3, 4 NKJV)
Aslan refers to it as "the/a Deep Magic." My memory is a little rusty so I don't know more detail other than Aslan said it was "more powerful than any if us."
Though I'm not entirely certain if I have that remembered correctly. :p

I KNOW he didn't say darker.

deeper, darker it doesn't matter. Besides whenever you go deeper it gets darker

Actually this is not true. Deep can also be meant for feeling. Example: "She had deep feelings for him"

Are her feelings dark then?

Well given the context in which Aslan said it, I think he actually means deep. I don't really see how magic could have a "deeper feeling". I think Alsan meant deep like hidden deep.

"And in the latter time of their kingdom, when the transgressors have reached their fullness, a king shall rise having fierce features, who understands sinister schemes." Daniel 8:23

Well I think God's power is deep. Deep and full of emotion.

So, I'm just saying I think deep doesn't always mean darkness.

Yes it is deep and full of emotion, but God's power is totally different than magic.

Would you say that preforming Miracles is Witchcraft then? Because for the non-christians, Miracles could be taken as Magic. 

No because Jesus uses the power of God. No where in Narnia is the magic coming from aslan. Aslan just uses it cause it's there

Dear Mathew, your "logic" is so flawed I'm not even sure I want to engage in this discussion. You also seem to be deaf to other people's opinions and my joining in probably won't change your opinion. But I honestly can't help myself.

I don't want to write a whole essay here, so I'll only state the first few arguments that come to mind:

First off, what is your definition of "magic"? You seem to be very wishy-washy in your definition, to say the least. 

Second, you are saying that Narnia is not "God-Inspired". Well, how the heck would you know that? C.S. Lewis may have inspired by the story of Christ to write his novels. For the sake of argument, he wouldn't even have to be a Christian if that were the case. 

Thirdly, yes, Aslan's magic comes from Aslan. 

And lastly, but arguably most importantly, have you read the books? Because, if you haven't, then basically everything you've said thus far is discredited. The original Narnia that C.S. Lewis wrote about can NOT be substituted by the movies. If you want to say the Narnia movies are not inspired by God, that could very well be the case, but it'd be a different argument all together.

Please answer the questions I put forward and, if I feel so inclined, I may come back and reply. 

RSS

© 2022   Created by Christopher Miller.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service