After watching the three movies of The Chronicles of Narnia I have come to the conclusion that Narnia can be called whatever you want to call it, but it is not a series that has been inspired by God. There is no possible way that it could be. This is my reason why…

I believe that the Bible and God are the final authorities, and anything that defies them or preaches otherwise is, in essence, evil. With that said, I would like to show you a few things to support my statement about Narnia.

In the book The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Lucy is given a task to enter an invisible mansion and recite a spell to turn Dufflepuds, a wizard, and Aslan visible again. In the Bible spells like these are referred to as “familiar spirits”, “mediums”, “the fire”, etc.

“There shall not be found among you anyone who makes is son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer,” Deuteronomy 18:10

Aslan makes Lucy do this as a “trial” or “test of her faith”. However, this verse specifically says that no one should give a trial to someone in this manner.

“Give not regard to mediums and familiar spirits; do not seek after them to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God.” Leviticus 19:31

After Lucy’s trial is complete a wizard is revealed and the four children must consult him to find their next destination. Again, this is forbidden by God.

“or one who conjures spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the LORD, and because of these abominations the LORD your God drives them out from before you.” Deuteronomy 18:11-12

In The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe Susan is sent back to the White Witch’s lair to bring the creatures back to life after being turned to stone. This also is an abomination. Before anyone takes anything for an allegory or says, “But it’s supposed to symbolize…” first take a look at what is being used to symbolize it. For example: many people say that Harry Potter is an allegory, yet any well discerning Christian would know better than to fall for that. Why, however, should we not call Harry Potter an allegory? A true Christian would say, “Because it strongly uses magic and magic is forbidden by God.” But Harry Potter symbolizes the good and the light in the world, so wouldn’t that cancel out all the bad magic. I mean after all the magic in Harry Potter is being used for good. Again, a true Christian that knows the Bible would say, “God forbids the use of magic.” That same Christian, however, will turn right around and praise Narnia for being a great allegory. What is the difference between the two? Because Narnia’s hero looks more like a Christ Savior than Harry Potter? This is foolishness and not just by my definition.

“Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.” 1 John 4:1

As I stated before, I believe that anything that deifies God and/or the Bible or contradicts them or anything like that is, in essence, an appearence of evil.

“Abstain from all appearance of evil.” 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Narnia is not in any way, shape, or form inspired by God. The God that the Bible speaks of, and the God that I know and follow, does not press a point in the Bible as far as the subject of witchcraft is pressed, and then turn around and inspire a story that relies on the use of magic. If you think for one second that He would do such a thing, then I pray for you.

“But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.” Galations 1: 8-9

Written by Math Ew!

http://www.greatpreachers.org/narnia.html

http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/006/narnia-trouble.htm

Views: 832

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, especially the third one. The only part of the plot it has in common with the book is that they are looking for the seven lords. The islands they went to were changed a lot to captivate the audience.

Please note that the book is written from Hunter's point of view. He did not yet know that all that was from the Author's power. He learns that later. The only thing he could describe it was with the word "magic."
Um did Lucy use a spell to turn things visible in the book? Yes so my point still stands.

And yes HUNTER describes the Authors power as magical but it is not actually
Called magice in the books. It is not used to symb
I never said your point was invalid. The point is that you can't trust the movies to accurately portray the books. In the Voyage of the Dawn Treader, they changed a LOT of the stuff in the book. They left out a LOT. They rushed through a LOT. To accurately assess the original work, you can't use just the movies.
Olize

I hope all you guys realize that probably NO ONE is going to change ANYONE'S mind, right? I'm not saying the discussion has to stop, but no matter how many things you point out, no matter how many things you can prove, if someone is arguing about this, their mind is already made up! I mean, it's hard enough to change people's minds when they're set on something when you're face-to-face, but over the internet, it's almost -if not completely- impossible! Yes, I said you proved me wrong, but for the moment I ran out of arguments and I just wanted to stop arguing when I obviously wouldn't change your mind. But I hadn't actually changed my own mind.

Sadly this is true. I just want to bring this to light and get you all thinking about it. Even if you don't change your mind you still can look at it and not just lay down and take it because everyone says it's an allegory.

at least obey God's command: “Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.” 1 John 4:1

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

I just did some research, and everything I found points to C.S. Lewis not intending the Chronicles of Narnia to be an allegory.

Some things I found:

"In a May 1954 letter to a fifth grade class in Maryland, he writes, “You are mistaken when you think every- thing in the books ‘represents’ something in this world. Things do that in The Pilgrim’s Progress but I’m not writing in that way.” "

" In a December 1959 letter to a young girl named Sophia Storr, he explains the difference (emphasis mine):
I don’t say. ‘Let us represent Christ as Aslan.’ I say, ‘Supposing there was a world like Narnia, and supposing, like ours, it needed redemption, let us imagine what sort of Incarnation and Passion and Resurrection Christ would have there.’ "

* http://www.narniaweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/583816_ch06.pdf

Other things I found that you should check out:
http://www.thenarniaacademy.org/article_allegory.htm

http://thinklings.org/posts/why-narnia-is-not-allegory

All I searched was "did C.S. lewis write the Chronicles of Narnia as an allegory?"
I found this as well when I was researching C.S. Lewis.

I've said all I'm going to say. You decide to not listen to parts of what I say, so I'm done.

Sorry, fellas, I couldn't resist. 

First off, check the definition of the word "allegory".  It does not mean "the same thing just with different words".  It means "A work of fiction designed to reflect a certain point or points in order to teach a lesson".  So yes, Lewis did write Narnia as a Christian allegory.  No where will you find that blatantly expressed in the books.  They are not what you would call Christian fiction.  But the similarities are there for anyone who wants to find them.  Lewis isn't trying to use Aslan to say "This is what Jesus is", or "This is how God works".  He's using him in an abstract way that won't necessarily scare off secular readers, yet still be recognizable. 

Second, magic.  I greatly enjoy entertainment that uses magic, I've read Harry Potter and plenty of other books with magic, and I use magic in my own writing.  So are you trying to say that because of that, I'm going to Hell?  If you are, you're dead wrong.  I have every confidence that I will be accepted by my Lord and Savior when I die.  And there's a very good reason for this.  Because each and every verse you quote is directed to those those who use, practice, and believe, in magic.  The people who actually believe it and "do" magic.  Narnia, Harry Potter, and all those kinds of things are books.  Works of fiction.  Any magic contained within them is used to entertain.  It's not real and it is generally accepted as such (I'm not going to say definitely accepted as such, because there are crazy, stupid people out there).  Now of course, not all magic is okay, even when used in fiction, because there are some things that should just be left alone.  But you won't find anything remotely near that in Narnia.  In Narnia, it is light, fantastical magic.  The fun kind that is used to spice up fiction and let the imagination run free. 

So just take a second to look at your hatred of magic.  If the magic in Narnia is evil, what does that make everything else with magic?  Does that make the Tellytubbies evil?  Blues Clues?  Brave?  Cinderella?  Aladdin?  Beauty and the Beast?  (Just insert any Disney princess movie)?  Star Wars?  The Inheritance Cycle?  Artemis Fowl?  Hunter Brown?

Hundreds of millions, quite likely billions, of people read fantasy stories.  Are they all in risk of eternal damnation because of that? 

You can hate magic.  I ain't got a problem with that.  There's nothing wrong with that.  What is wrong is taking one insanely complex idea with so many different branches and outlets and lumping it all into one category of "evil".  And if you categorize it as evil, you categorize it as sin.  Which, again, is fine for you to believe.  But don't try to force that on other people.  Because there is a crazy amount of beliefs about what is and isn't evil.  Everyone has their own beliefs on it.  Nobody is right.  The only thing that is right is the Bible.  And in the Bible, it condemns the people who practice magic in any of its forms.  I know that I don't run around casting spells, and I certainly don't believe that there is such a thing as magic.  It's fantasy.  You'll be extremely hard pressed to find a reliable source saying that C.S. Lewis did or believed in magic either. 

So find me a verse that says reading about magical events and people for entertainment and entertainment's sake only is satanic, and I'll convert. 

You've just stated what everyone else has been trying to say. You're trying to create loop holes. Narnia is an allegory but that doesn't mean it's a Christian allegory.

Magic is bad. In the verses I used it did not say "only if you're actually using it" it said magic *period*. I'm not saying that people who use magic in fiction are going to hell, I am just saying that they're placing themselves on a certain level of accountabitity to God. Now there is a difference if you are writing about magic on the bad side, but magic on the good side is against God. C.S. Lewis knew how magic worked and had done it before when he was in the occult. He knew exactly what magic was when he was writing about it.

again, there are no "ands" ifs" or "buts" in the Bible. Until you can show me the fine print in the Bible SPOKEN by God Himself, you are using the world's definition of what is ok and what is not when it comes to magic, and that is not a valid argument against what the Bible is so clearly stating.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Christopher Miller.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service