After watching the three movies of The Chronicles of Narnia I have come to the conclusion that Narnia can be called whatever you want to call it, but it is not a series that has been inspired by God. There is no possible way that it could be. This is my reason why…

I believe that the Bible and God are the final authorities, and anything that defies them or preaches otherwise is, in essence, evil. With that said, I would like to show you a few things to support my statement about Narnia.

In the book The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Lucy is given a task to enter an invisible mansion and recite a spell to turn Dufflepuds, a wizard, and Aslan visible again. In the Bible spells like these are referred to as “familiar spirits”, “mediums”, “the fire”, etc.

“There shall not be found among you anyone who makes is son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer,” Deuteronomy 18:10

Aslan makes Lucy do this as a “trial” or “test of her faith”. However, this verse specifically says that no one should give a trial to someone in this manner.

“Give not regard to mediums and familiar spirits; do not seek after them to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God.” Leviticus 19:31

After Lucy’s trial is complete a wizard is revealed and the four children must consult him to find their next destination. Again, this is forbidden by God.

“or one who conjures spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the LORD, and because of these abominations the LORD your God drives them out from before you.” Deuteronomy 18:11-12

In The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe Susan is sent back to the White Witch’s lair to bring the creatures back to life after being turned to stone. This also is an abomination. Before anyone takes anything for an allegory or says, “But it’s supposed to symbolize…” first take a look at what is being used to symbolize it. For example: many people say that Harry Potter is an allegory, yet any well discerning Christian would know better than to fall for that. Why, however, should we not call Harry Potter an allegory? A true Christian would say, “Because it strongly uses magic and magic is forbidden by God.” But Harry Potter symbolizes the good and the light in the world, so wouldn’t that cancel out all the bad magic. I mean after all the magic in Harry Potter is being used for good. Again, a true Christian that knows the Bible would say, “God forbids the use of magic.” That same Christian, however, will turn right around and praise Narnia for being a great allegory. What is the difference between the two? Because Narnia’s hero looks more like a Christ Savior than Harry Potter? This is foolishness and not just by my definition.

“Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.” 1 John 4:1

As I stated before, I believe that anything that deifies God and/or the Bible or contradicts them or anything like that is, in essence, an appearence of evil.

“Abstain from all appearance of evil.” 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Narnia is not in any way, shape, or form inspired by God. The God that the Bible speaks of, and the God that I know and follow, does not press a point in the Bible as far as the subject of witchcraft is pressed, and then turn around and inspire a story that relies on the use of magic. If you think for one second that He would do such a thing, then I pray for you.

“But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.” Galations 1: 8-9

Written by Math Ew!

http://www.greatpreachers.org/narnia.html

http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/006/narnia-trouble.htm

Views: 832

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Are we judgmental? Really? You've made more judgmental statements here than any of us. What makes what you're saying any different from judging than what we are saying?

Don't even start with that "the Bible says don't judge" bit, bro.  The Bible says, and I quote,

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged.  For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the same measure you use, it will be measured against you."

This doesn't it's wrong to judge.  You can judge people all you want however you want.  All that we're being told here is that you should be careful how you judge.  Because however you judge someone, you better be ready to be judged the same way. 

So if you live a sinless life, you can judge anyone and every one, no problem.  But since that's impossible, you have to be careful not to judge someone for doing something that you've done yourself, and may still be doing.  Because THAT is what will get you in trouble, not the actual act of judging.

Yeah, that was a bit off topic, but it ticks me off when people say "don't judge!" like it's a sin. 

Judging without knowledge IS sin dopey! 

Gods going to be judging us.

Yes and He is the only one capable of it. It's His place and no one elses.

First, Ezra, just chill.  This is not a life or death matter.  It's not like Matthew's going to hell because he hatin' on Narnia, or we're going there because we're defending it.  Debates are only worthwhile as long as both sides remain rational and present arguments that make sense.  Screaming "YOU IDIOT!" doesn't do anything except make you look lame and extremist.

Second, I'll judge anyone I want.  In fact, I judge every single person I meet.  We all do.  And none of you can deny it.  You see that kid smoking a joint, instantaneous judgement.  The "perfect" preacher kid that annoys you, instantaneous judgement.  Sure, what you think may change over time, but when you meet someone, you either agree with them, or disagree.  If I see someone sinning, yeah I'm gonna judge them because their soul is in danger unless they repent.  This is truth.  You cannot deny it.  And in this event, I have the choice to either judge them as sinning, or basically say that whatever it is that they're doing it just fine, in which case my soul is in as much danger as theirs. 

So yeah, God is ultimately going to judge us.  His is the final word that will send us to Heaven or Hell.  But if you don't judge, then you're just one of those people who look at the sin in our world and say "it's all good, whatever works for you!". 

You definitely can't say that you don't judge, Matthew.  All you've been saying this entire time is that magic is bad, and that anyone who partakes with it is in danger of eternal damnation.  That right there is judgement in it's plainest, simplest form.

Third, I like how you completely avoid answering my arguments, Matthew, and just answer Ezra's ravings.  That doesn't show someone defending a valid point.  That shows someone trying to convince people of a point that is full of holes. 

Yes you're right. I am being judgmental. I'm not saying you're going to hell because  of partaking in magic i'm just saying it's dangerous.

And still you avoid my points. 

The Avenger's is a good movie, isn't it?  So is the Bourne trilogy, Captain America, and the like.  You've watched those, right?  Not those specifically.  More like any of those good movies in the action/adventure genre.

yes I have watched those.

I just did reply to your arguments.

Good, I'm glad you did.  And for the sake of not having crazy long reply threads, I'm answering here.

No, He doesn't just name a few forms of magic.  In none of those verses does God end with "etc.", which would then imply that he means everything and anything.  Rather, He names very specific examples and condemns them. 

All in all, you are assuming too much.  Especially the being mature enough Christians.  The Bible isn't written for mature Christians.  The Bible is written for anyone and everyone who accepts God as Lord of their life and wants to learn more about him. 

Now for those verses.

The verse from Colossians says to not let anyone take you captive.  Something that I addressed.  The magic in most popular fantasy is not meant to take anyone captive.  It is acknowledged as fake.  In fact, the very reason that people love reading and watching magical things so much is because magic allows for things that they know are otherwise impossible (according to the laws that humans have defined [because we all know nothing is impossible for God]). Thus no one is being taken captive, unless of course they are very stupid.  I am not addressing the very stupid people here.

Satan roaring like a lion and looking for someone to devour doesn't really have anything to do with magic, just sayin'. 

And the verse from Revelation has nothing to do with magic either.  That would just be dealing with your interpretation of magic.

You're repeating yourself.  Over and over. 

To continue my previous question, have you also seen movies like Saw, Scream, Texas Chainsaw, Friday the Thirteenth, or any of those.  If so, great.  If not, could you tell me why not? (Yes, I do have a reason for asking this, and it is a good one)

Captivate: Definition: To attract and hold by charm, beauty, or excellence; to hold the attention of by fascinating. So basically the reason you gave for people liking magic in stories is basically what it means to capture something or be captivated.

You're brining up a good point with God not saying "etc." at the end. So ok what if the use of magic in stories is fine. Do you really really think that God would use it in his stories? I think He would find other ways to illustrate His power. People take Narnia to a spiritual level that I don't believe C.S. Lewis meant for it to go. That kind of level as to be inspired or directed by God. "Unless the Lord builds the house, They labor in vain who built it; Unless the Lord guards the city, The watchman stays awake in vain." Psalms 127:1. So ok maybe the use of magic in Narnia isn't speciffically brought up by God, but it's close enough that I don't think God would inspire it. Adn if it's not inspired by God, then we really can't take it to the spiritual level of witnessing and teaching that people have because that leaves it to be written by a mere human mind which in that case would make it flawed in a few areas.

I haven't seen any of the movie that you have listed. Only because I have never heard of them. Friday the Thirteenth I have heard of, but never really caught my attention. Same with movie like Paranormal Activity. Movies like Paranormal Activity that deal with demonic possestion are just weird. But my mom has met people who have been in situations like Paranormal Activity. It's not fiction, it's actually very close to reality. It actually happens.

I don't think it would be right to watch movies like Paranormal Activity because it deals with demonic forces without telling the whole truth about it. It doesn't tell you that there are also Angels and that the name of Jesus can cast them out. It just focuses on the fact that people can get posessed and it can be cool. That's just wrong and evil. And you have to ask yourself when you're going to watch a movie like that "would I watch this if Jesus came for a movie night?" Why or why not?

"Abstain from all appearences or evil" 1 Thess 5:22

Besides, I'm not saying that the scriptures above apply to the reader. They apply to the characters of the book. So again would God inspire a story that includes good guys having to disobey His commands?

Deuteronomy 18:10 speciffically applies to Aslan

Leviticus 19:31 Applies to the kids

1 John 4:1 Applies to us

RSS

© 2021   Created by Christopher Miller.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service