After watching the three movies of The Chronicles of Narnia I have come to the conclusion that Narnia can be called whatever you want to call it, but it is not a series that has been inspired by God. There is no possible way that it could be. This is my reason why…

I believe that the Bible and God are the final authorities, and anything that defies them or preaches otherwise is, in essence, evil. With that said, I would like to show you a few things to support my statement about Narnia.

In the book The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Lucy is given a task to enter an invisible mansion and recite a spell to turn Dufflepuds, a wizard, and Aslan visible again. In the Bible spells like these are referred to as “familiar spirits”, “mediums”, “the fire”, etc.

“There shall not be found among you anyone who makes is son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer,” Deuteronomy 18:10

Aslan makes Lucy do this as a “trial” or “test of her faith”. However, this verse specifically says that no one should give a trial to someone in this manner.

“Give not regard to mediums and familiar spirits; do not seek after them to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God.” Leviticus 19:31

After Lucy’s trial is complete a wizard is revealed and the four children must consult him to find their next destination. Again, this is forbidden by God.

“or one who conjures spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the LORD, and because of these abominations the LORD your God drives them out from before you.” Deuteronomy 18:11-12

In The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe Susan is sent back to the White Witch’s lair to bring the creatures back to life after being turned to stone. This also is an abomination. Before anyone takes anything for an allegory or says, “But it’s supposed to symbolize…” first take a look at what is being used to symbolize it. For example: many people say that Harry Potter is an allegory, yet any well discerning Christian would know better than to fall for that. Why, however, should we not call Harry Potter an allegory? A true Christian would say, “Because it strongly uses magic and magic is forbidden by God.” But Harry Potter symbolizes the good and the light in the world, so wouldn’t that cancel out all the bad magic. I mean after all the magic in Harry Potter is being used for good. Again, a true Christian that knows the Bible would say, “God forbids the use of magic.” That same Christian, however, will turn right around and praise Narnia for being a great allegory. What is the difference between the two? Because Narnia’s hero looks more like a Christ Savior than Harry Potter? This is foolishness and not just by my definition.

“Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.” 1 John 4:1

As I stated before, I believe that anything that deifies God and/or the Bible or contradicts them or anything like that is, in essence, an appearence of evil.

“Abstain from all appearance of evil.” 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Narnia is not in any way, shape, or form inspired by God. The God that the Bible speaks of, and the God that I know and follow, does not press a point in the Bible as far as the subject of witchcraft is pressed, and then turn around and inspire a story that relies on the use of magic. If you think for one second that He would do such a thing, then I pray for you.

“But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.” Galations 1: 8-9

Written by Math Ew!

http://www.greatpreachers.org/narnia.html

http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/006/narnia-trouble.htm

Views: 837

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

You still aren't getting it. Got forbids using Satanic powers, such as calling on the spirits of the dead, fortune telling, and Satanic things like that. He doesn't forbid spells that make it snow, make you remember or forget things, make you beautiful, or make you invisible. He doesn't forbid the magic things they use in Narnia.

Narnia has:

No Calling on Spirits of the Dead (Harry Potter Does)

No Fortune Telling (Harry Potter Does)

Thanks Jamal Solo, Cause It's True! God Doesn't Forbid Those Things! 

Ok first of all: that doesn't even make any sense. Where do you think the power from the spells come from? In fact God does forbid the use of spells. What do you think familiar spirits are? Mediums?

Deuteronomy 18:11-12 "or one who conjures spells,or a medium, or a spiritist..."

why did you read only PART of that verse? does the full verse have a completely different meaning? please read the full verse.

The full verse is up there

somehow i don't believe that.

MY FINAL COMMENT:

C.S. Lewis is one of my heroes! I have always looked up to him and always will! To Answer your complaints, Math Ew, God forbids magic that blasphemes and abominates his name! He forbids evil and he forbids the use of evil!

The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe: The Witch represent's Satan! Mind you, she NEVER uses incantations, calls on evil spirits, or raises the undead! She doesn't even have a wand! Aslan represents Jesus, how perfect and amazing and comforting he is! He died for us to save us from a dark evil that will never overrule him! The first Narnia film contains no dark magic, spells, incantations, or calling on dark spirits AT ALL!

Prince Caspian: In all of the Prince Caspian novel and film, there is absolutley NO USE OF MAGIC at all! When the evil creatures call the Witch, its an allegory of how Satan always tries to sneak into our lives and take over us!

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: The use of Magic in the novel and film is VERY LITTLE! The spells are tests for Lucy, and the Professor isn't even called A Wizard!

The Chronicles of Narnia will live forever! Whether you like it or not! You can complain about a little magic in Narnia, but yet you can sit through seven Harry Potter movies in enjoyment! That is such hypocrisy, that I pity you! I ask that you close this discussion and do not re-open it, because Narnia is the most God Inspired fantasy that ever existed! Don't Use the Bible to prove your point! Thats NOT what the Bible is for! It's to help you grow, and is there a verse in the bible that says, 'THOU SHALT NOT WATCH NARNIA?' Don't use the Bible to back you up on silly and unreasonable discussions! THAT is Blaspheming and Abominating The Lord! 

I'm not even sure I want to argue this. For as much as you seem to love the books and movies you are very blind or very forgetful as to their contents. Magic, spells and such are used a lot on both ends.

1. "God forbids magic that blasphemes and abominates his name!" He never specified that. He just said "magic" *period* so you're adding that.

2. How do you think the witch is able to make it snow and turn people to stone? The devil has no such power. Those abilities would come from what? Thin air? No, they are conjured through a spell. What powers a spell? Satanic forces. That entire point that you brought up isn't even accurate to the books or movies.

3. "NO USE OF MAGIC AT ALL"???? The chants that are said by the evil wofl creaturesish thingys are real. You can find them in any spell and witchcraft books at the store. Again, where do you think these supernatural powers come from?

4. GOD DOESN'T TEST US WITH THINGS THAT ARE SPECIFICALLY OUTLAWED BY HIM (Deut. 18:11) I DON'T EVEN SEE HOW YOU CAN MAKE THAT CONNECTION.

No he's not a wizard he's a magician. Same thing. Look them up in the dictionary. They do the same thing.

Ummmm where are you getting that I like Harry Potter? I despise Harry Potter. I think they should all be burnt.

"Don't use the Bible to back you up....that's blasphaming and an abomonation to the Lord"? On who's defenition? Where in the Bible doesn it ever say that? Yeah i'm sorry, but WOW! Just WOW! That doesn't even make any logical sense in any perspective?

Yes God gave it to us so we can learn from it, but what do we do with what we've learned? Just sit and let it get old? No, we are supposed to use it and show people the truth about Christ. Basically what you stated is like saying I'm not allowed to witness to anyone using the Bible to prove my points of God's existance.

I am now making the point I was coming to with those questions about the movies.  As you, Matthew, did not answer my question concerning the crazy violent/slasher movies, I am going to assume that you do not watch such movies because of the insane amount of bloody violence (along with any other questionable material that goes along with it[and please correct me if I'm wrong]).  However, you do watch and enjoy movies such as The Avengers, Captain America, and the Bourne Trilogy. 

So, you don't watch all those R rated movies because of the violence, but you do watch PG-13 movies, which are just as filled with violence, possibly even more so.  I mean, check 'em out.  How many people does the Cap kill throughout the movie, and how many people are killed around him?  All Jason Bourne does is kill people.  The Avengers is a huge slaughterfest.  All those movies are equally violent.  The violence abounds.  It's pretty much the only reason people go and see them.  I mean, who would go watch Jason Bourne if he didn't kill at least one person?  Or The Avengers if they didn't blow up at least one building?

Now, my question is, why do you watch all those insanely violent movies, which are rated PG-13, but not the insanely violent ones that are rated R?  They all seem just as bad to me.

This.

Just this.

I watch R rated movies. The violence isn't an issue. I just choose not to watch certain "violent/slasher" movies cause sometimes they have a bunch of junk with girls in them. If it's just one scene that we can skip then that's fine, but if it's throughout the entire thing then I choose not to watch it. If I haven't seen it then it's probably because of what I just said or because I haven't really heard of it.

Matthew, you are taking the magic in Narnia too literally. You wouldn't know this since you haven't read the books, but in magician's nephew, the witch comes back to our world and tries to use magic and it doesn't work. That shows that in this world, God doesn't want magic at all. It is wrong here. Then Aslan created Narnia. In this world, there is evil magic against the powers of Aslan. Don't you get it? The magic used in Narnia is not wrong!

RSS

© 2022   Created by Christopher Miller.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service