You wanna learn how to roleplay?  We can help.  Seriously.  If you want to learn, we’re willing to teach.  And I’m not just talking to you new people to the site, I’m talking to everyone.  We want to give you everything we know on the matters of roleplaying so you can be awesome at it.  If you want to have that, come on in. 

If you’re wondering about who “we” are, it’s just me and Micah.  No mysterious committee or anything super cool like that, sorry.  But we still know what we’re doing, so please join us.

But before you do, one thing must be clearly understood.  We are the teachers.  We know what we’re teaching.  You may know the fundamentals of roleplaying, but not the fine arts.  That’s what we’re here to teach.  I’m not saying we know everything there is to know on the subject.  No one can truthfully say that.  If someone does say that, they’re just full of hot air.  But we do know the most of anyone here on codebearers, with one or two exceptions.  I do not mean to offend anyone with this statement, but it is a fact, one you will have to concede to if you want to learn from us.  If you don’t want to concede to it and claim that you know as much or more than us, don’t come here.  If what you say is true, good for you!  Have fun roleplaying.  If what you say isn’t true, you have my condolences. 

Now, let’s get down to learning.  We will give you exercises pertaining to roleplaying and you will do them.  It may be a profile you need to create within certain guidelines, or a scenario to play through.  The exercises will vary.  We don’t have some sort of set curriculum or anything.  So basically, you come here to learn, we give you stuff to learn by, you learn from it.  That last part is the hopeful part.  If you don’t learn by it, my apologies.  We will do our best to help, and that’s all we can do.

We will not sugarcoat any aspect of our critique.  Neither will we simply tear your work apart.  You do your best, we give you our best. 

To give you that best, we will only be doing this for five people at a time.  If you want to do this, simply post that desire below.  It is not first come first serve.  If there are more than five people we will pick the five we think need it most and the others will wait until next course.  There is no defined length to these courses.  We will work with you until we believe we can no longer teach you anything useful. 

Class members:

Kademee

Tanwen Fire Elf

John Elisha

Krystalwing

Lynzdey

Views: 1081

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

A roleplaying game is a collaboration of aspiring writers (or anybody, I guess) who write a story together by acting out different characters. Usually the person who starts the game comes up with a specific plotline, and the others interact with each other, react to events, and basically write their way through the story with the characters they have created.

In this context, a Role Playing Game is a forum game that involves each player playing a character. The characters are placed in a plot in which they must react or interact with certain situations. The way this works is that each player writes what their  own character does, acts, and talks to others. It's basically like writing a story together, with certain guidelines and agreements.  The events that occur during the RPG are either created by a gamemaster, the creator of the game, or by any player who wants to invent a situation.

That's where you're wrong.  An RPG is neither simple nor narrow.   Tanwen, you're definition came the closes, I'd say.  Lemme define it in greater detail now.

A Role Playing Game is, at its simplest, a story.  Everything else is secondary, things that you do to write the story.  The complications arise because you're doing this with other people.  Therefore the story is not your own, and you cannot do anything you want with it (unless you're the Gamemaster, something that we'll get to later).  You must work in collaboration.  To do this, you create the profile of your character.  Then, to write the story itself, you have your character interact with the others, following a basic storyline.  It sounds very simple, yes.  But if you treat it as such, you will have a game that sucks.  Now that is a simple fact.

The reasoning behind this being that a story is not simple, especially when you have multiple people involved in the writing.  If you treat it as something simple and devote only a few seconds every day to it, you will never achieve any type of expertise at roleplaying, and the games will suck.  Roleplaying takes time.  This is something you must acknowledge if you want to play well.  Character development is something that takes time, and roleplaying is all about character development since you are constantly developing your character throughout the game.  If you don’t, you’re doing it wrong. 

So you start with your cutout character that you think could very well be pretty interesting.  He’s got some quirks, strong points, good stuff like that.  As you go through the story, you get more attached to him, you learn about him, you teach him things.  Then, at the end of the game, you’re so attached to him, you don’t want to just leave him hanging, so you make a sequel to the game. 

That’s what you want with your character (since the majority of you are girls, just change him to her.  I unconsciously write him).  Don’t lose interest in a character.  Losing interest is very bad.  Which is why you should be careful with the number of games you join.  The more you are in, the more likely that you will lose interest in one character in favor of another.

So that’s what drives an RPG, what creates an RPG, what defines an RPG.  The characters.  Without the characters there would be no story in the first place.  They are the most important aspect of the game.  Because a storyline needs characters to play it.  Don’t diss the storyline though.  Once you have the characters, they can’t do anything without the storyline.  Storyline and characters go hand in hand.  One is no good without the other.  Storyline actually comes first, because you can’t make a character unless you have the background to the situation. 

Now let us suppose that you’re joining a game set in medieval times.  A dragon is preying on the people.  The king sends you out to kill it, which triggers something else, which triggers something else, etc.  A pretty basic plotline.  Check this profile out.

Name: John
Description: (Insert picture of cool looking knight)
Bio:  His father was a knight and he died in battle.  So John became a knight too.  He had natural skills that let him rise quickly. 
Weapons:  His sword (and lance if on horseback)

Look familiar?  It should.  This is how most of the profiles on here look.  What’s wrong with it?  As before, answer in your own words.  I don't want to see any "yeah, what they said."  If you are inclined to do so, I would suggest heading back up to the reply box right now without reading the other replies (if there are any).

It's a very generic profile, with not a lot of details. There's nothing that really makes you interested in learning more about the character.

Three days gone, people.  An answer is required within a week.

The bio is very vague, we don't know anything personal about John. This profile doesn't explain John's reasoning for becoming a knight or any of his "natural skills" that helped him become a knight faster.
The personalities of John were left out and the weapon of choice is very predictable and commonly chosen.
There is nothing odd, quirky or different about John.
It is basically boring, or boringly basic, or basic and boring. There is nothing interesting about the character. It's almost like the writer had no interest in the character he was writing, so he will likely loose interest in writing the character very early on, and others won't be intereted in reading about him. There is also no obvious way the character will react to certain situations, creating an unrealistic character.

One week was the deadline, Satar.  Your character in the RPG was just killed off.

Which means we have a vacancy, and since we are still in the beginning steps, if somebody else wants to join, they can do so.

All of you please note that while there is a week to do the assignments in, pushing it to the last day is no good.  If you consistently do so it is very possible that you will get booted.  You've all played in these RPGs, you now how fast they can move.  Even being gone for just a couple of days can set you way behind.  This isn't an actual game, but since it's training for the games, the time restraints should and will be the same.

Your next assignment will be coming in a day or so.  Sorry for the delay.

In the meantime, if you have any questions on any aspect of roleplaying, go ahead and post them.  We may not get to them right away, but we will address them at some point of the training, you can be sure.

If you haven't Followed this thread yet, I suggest you do so.  Unless you visit this place more than you do your email... ;P

All right, so, Lynzdey, you got the best answer there.  The profile says nothing about John.  He is like a 2D stick figure with a sword. A character that will stay boring and stale throughout the game, not really contributing anything.

Now, a profile is really to give yourself the first stepping stone with your character and to give the other players a basic idea of who they're playing with.  If plotting out all the major details of your character life will help you with his or her development, by all means, do so.  In a profile, however, only the pertinent information is needed.  The other stuff, if really important, will come out in the game.  I'm not saying don't write that stuff though.  Give your character a life.  Without a life there is no real character.  You don't have to sit down and write it out or anything either.  Whenever you find yourself bored, or in the car, or with nothing do, or whatever, you can think on it, creating new details, expanding.  And so long as you can remember it all you don't really need to put it down in writing.  It's a working process.  Don't sit down, write a basic profile, then think "Okay!  I'm done!"  That's a sure fire way to keep your character underdeveloped.

Here's a bad thing that could be turned good.

Bio:  Her parents died when she was six.

What a bio!  Look at the amazing detail!  You may be thinking, well that's just dumb, but I have seen profiles where that is basically the whole of the bio.  That, all by itself, is no good.  Her parents died, okay, so what?  Give us more.  Her parents died when she was young, which put her in the orphanage.  The kids there teased her mercilessly because of her stammer that's she's never been able to get rid of, moving her to the suicidal point. 

Isn't that better?  A bit dramatic, yes, but if that's the type of character you want, okay.  It gives her character.  She didn't just lose her parents and so now she goes around crying and sad.  The loss of her parents triggered one event, which brought about another, which landed her in the state she's in when the game starts.  So the other players now know who they're dealing with, and you have lots of room to build on her.

Assignment:

You are going to write up a profile.  Who woulda thunk it? We will be editing your profiles extensively.

Name:

Description:

Bio (background info) :

And no, this is not just a random person.  You will be using the character you create here for exercises throughout this course.  Who knows, we might even make it a game when we've finished.

Setting: Strange things have been happening in Grantsville.  Very strange things.  Particularly surrounding five children.  The occurrences only happen when one of the five is near, yet none of them are connected in any way.  This hasn't gone unnoticed. 

There ya go.  Extremely vague.  But then this doesn't really have any bearing on your profile.  Do NOT mention the strange occurrences in your profile.  As they have just started, they really have no relation to your characters at this point.  This profile is you defining your character.  Whether you want her to be happy and chipper, or angry and brooding.  Your character only has to be as normal as you want her to be, within worldly concepts that is.  (I said her because I believe we only have girls in this course now, and if you're a girl, you must have a girl character.)

Have at it.

I would love to join, if that's OK with you, Mike.

And our vacancy is filled.  If you haven't already, read all the previous posts in this thread.  Then do your assignment.  Since you are a boy, you will obviously be making a boy character. ;P   Welcome aboard.

Name:Alton "Alpha" Pascol

Description:

Brown hair, 2 different colored eyes, one red, one blue, average height, skinny, usually wears blue jeans and a red polo.

Bio:

Raised in a small homeschooling household in a small town with a small amount of socialization, Alton was a born genius. At 4, he had his own computer. At 5 ½, He had already disected it, and at 6, he had already mastered BASIC. By 8, he was fluent in 15 different languages, 9 of them programming languages. At 11, he had his first encounter in a public school. He was on the High Honour Roll, taking classes 3 years ahead of himself, and was the teacher's pet. Unfortunately, he was also the brunt of all the jokes, was completely UN-athletic, and spent all of his time in the computer lab, where he recieved his nickname, Alpha, after the first phase of software testing. After that year, he continued his homeschool education, far surpassing his grade, and graduating from high school at 13. A year has passed, and Alton has been working towards online college. He has his own arsonal of computer equipment and technology at his disposal.

RSS

© 2022   Created by Christopher Miller.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service