The Dark Lord debating against Explorerdude.  The Dark Lord for false, Explorerdude for true.

Posts by anyone other than the two named above will be deleted.

The week starts now.

Another week has been added.

Views: 278

Replies to This Discussion

Seems like everytime I sit down to the computer I get interrupted. :P

God knows people's hearts. People may look like they are going to church and doing the right thing, but in actuallity, they are doomed to hell. And vice versa. Not quite as common, in my opinion, but the flip side does happen. They need God just as much as the next person. My point being, two people (who are Christians) could have done the same sin (i.e. adultry) and one could go to heaven and the other didn't. Because God knows peoples hearts. We as humans might not be able to distingush that, but God certainly can. I know I already used him before, but take David for example. He commited heinous crimes, more than once, but He loved God. I have no doubt I'll see him in heaven. Now on the other end of the spectrum: a man (Uza, maybe?) was carrying the ark of the covenant up a hill with a few others the ark started to fall off, and he reached out to stop it. Intsantly, he was taken off the earth, just like that. Odd, isn't it? It seems like he should have done that. But God knew his heart. It may not always make sense to us, but it does to God, and that's all that matters. 

Have I ever held that He didn't?

Excuse me?

The question was simple.  Have I ever said that God doesn't know our hearts?  Or even said that He is not always willing to forgive?

The past tense of 'didn't' rather than 'doesn't' temporarily confounded me.

Not directly, no. Indirectly, maybe.

When I was much younger, I lied to my mom. Just once. I never did ask for forgiveness. I forgot about it, mostly. I would think about it from time to time, but it never crossed my mind to repent. Years went by. Things happened. Times got tough. I didn't think about God that much. Months went by. I told God I was sorry for the times I cared less about Him. Still didn't ask for forgiveness about that fib. More years went by. I solidified a good relationship with God. I had no doubt if the rapture happened, I would go too. I remembered that lie way back when and asked forgiveness. But even when I was dead in tresspasses and sins, Jesus still kept me alive by his grace. (Ephesians has gads of good stuff about this) I still think I would have gone to heaven when I didn't repent.  

You think you would have gone before you had that solid relationship with Him?

To heaven, yes. Yes, I do.

So you don't believe that you have to maintain a good relationship with God to be assured eternal life?  Because that's what it sounds like.  From what you are saying, I am seeing your life before you solidified your relationship with God as being like one of those people who says he's a Christian, believes he's actually a Christian, but doesn't really act like it at all.  And I'm not saying that in a condemning way or anything.  I was that way for a few years myself. 

During that period of my life, I believe I would have gone to hell.  Because I knew about God.  I knew all about it.  I grew up in Sunday school, knew all the stories, more than half the bible without ever actually reading it, yet I did not follow God.  I knew His law, yet I still broke it.  With full knowledge.  Check out Colossians 1: 21-23

"Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior.  But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation----if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel.  This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant."

God has saved us.  He sent Christ to present us holy in His sight.  But that is not an unconditional promise.  He did not say "You are clean through Christ no matter what you do".  He said you are clean IF you continue in your Faith, Established and Firm, and Do Not move from the hope held out in the gospel.

See the thing is, even though what I did was wrong and all, I still would have gone to heaven. When people become saved the don't just automatically get super close with God. It takes time. I was on my way to becoming a better Christian. You don't automatically become fluent in Japaneeze from reading the back of Japaneeze for Dummies. You may know how to say a few phrases, but you still don't know how to communicate. Growth in Christ is the same way.

RSS

© 2022   Created by Christopher Miller.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service